Thursday 21 October 2010

How things change

We went to Butlins last October and I decided it would be the decision making holiday - would I continue in business or would I give it up?


No decision was made as I went into relaxation mode and tried to forget about real life. My problem wasn't so much would I give it up it was what would I do? What could I do? I had more or less made my mind up that I did not want to continue working alone and in those baltic premises. I had thought I may find a part time job and continue with the business part time so the search for a part time job started in December 2010 and I plodded along.


On the 29th December 2010 the hubby and I took the kids into Glasgow to spend some Christmas money, we decided to go mad and have a pub lunch, instead of the usual McDonalds or Pizza Hut. I was becoming intolerant of people who called me on my mobile and stopped me in the street to ask about embroidery or school uniforms, when it gets to that stage you have to move on. As we sat enjoying a family meal my mobile phone rang and I rejected the call, it rang again and once more I rejected the call, when it wrung for the third time I answered it with a rather short HELLO! It was my neighbour at the unit telling me that I had a burst pipe in the unit and the water was p?$%ing out of the door and the roller shutter and it been like that for a few days. The poor kids were uprooted from their lunch and typically we were at one end of Glasgow and the car was parked at the other!

We arrived at the unit to be ankle deep in cold water, the mains pipe going into the water tank had frozen and burst away from the tank and was pouring clean water right through the toilet and cupboard ceiling.

You know it cracks me up, nobody could get a hold of me because they were phoning the shop phone and funnily enough I wasn't there! But the boy from the garage had been at my house to collect my car once, even the police couldn't trace me, they finally got my mobile number from my website.

I feel sick even just going over it again, but lets just say things happen for a reason and I believe that was one of those things.

An insurance claimed followed, talk about incompetent, if you were relying on them to get back into business you could forget it.

It was the coldest months ever and was I glad I had a flooded unit and couldn't got into those premises I would have died of frostbite, so I set about making an office in my converted loft. Did I tell you I had converted my loft, I'm not sure I must go back and check my posts!! January was fine, was still trading with the help of a local embroidery company but by the end of January I was starting top think OMG I'll have to get a job as I still had the shop bills but not very much income. So the serious job hunting began.....

to be continued

1 comment:

Maggie May said...

My grandchildren have just recently had a holiday at Butlins Minehead. They loved it.
That was very unfortunate about the burst pipe and the McDonalds meal.bet the children didn't ;et you forget that in a hurry.
Maggie X

Nuts in May